“THREE SISTERS – ONE LEGEND” POLGAR CHESS FESTIVAL 2012
A FESTIVAL OF THE IMMORTAL GAME OF CHESS WITH THE WORLD’S MOST FAMOUS SISTERS OF THE SPORT
CHESS HISTORY & REUNION
On one day of each year the legendary sisters of chess, living in three different continents of the world, join together to promote the game of chess in a very inspirational and entertaining way. They grew up traveling and competing around the globe together, changing the way people thought about gender barriers in the game of chess forever. As the years passed life separated the sisters, all three of them started a family, had children to look after, and it just became extremely complicated for them to find the time to gather all around somewhere in the word. 10 years after the last time they ever competed together, in 2007, there came the idea of having a reunion, a big celebration of chess, serving a good cause and that way also finding the opportunity to join their lives again through chess.
The annual Polgar Chess Festival, in its sixth edition by now, has firmly established itself as a very prestigious social event, where celebrities, athletes, artists, scientists, businessmen, politicians and most importantly children like to participate and have fun for an entire day. The EU Youth Talents vs Judit Polgar simul , the world’s N°1 female chess player, as an ambassador of Chess in School program adopted by the European Parliament, is giving a 27 board simul to children representing the 27 nations of the EU. The event also serves as a promotion of the European Year for Solidarity between Generations by implementing the Generations Chess Clash into the program. The Polgar Chess Day provides meaningful programs for three generations sharing the same passion, from 4 years old kids to 99 years old chess enthusiasts, to grandchildren, grandparents and parents.
Polgar Chess Day 2011 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1426ooFW_M
Polgar Chess Day 2010 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXP5Ln-pxJs
PURPOSE OF THE EVENT
* Promote chess as a game that can bring together people of different ages, races, ethnics, genders, social-, and economical background in an activity they can all enjoy
* Bringing attention to chess as a teaching tool to schools because it directly contributes to academic performance and makes kids smarter, more critical thinker, better problem solver, and more independent decision maker while enjoying themselves.
* Invite families to get involved in chess and make it part of their everyday life as a source of common pleasure
* Inspire children by giving them the chance of playing against world class representatives of the sport
The programs include:
* 100 board simultaneous exhibition by the 3 Polgar Sisters against children, chess enthusiasts and VIPs
* EU vs Judit Polgar Simul - Kids representing all the EU member countries. 27 children will represent their country respectively.
* Lecture by Judit, Susan and Sofia presented on interactive board for beginners
* Blind game against the VIP team including sports legends, artists, actors, and other celebrities
* Blitz games against Judit, Susan and Sofia
* Chess Boxing Exhibition Show
* Generations Chess Clash
* Live Chess Show with dancers with special chess choreography
* Chess tournament for kids, with hundreds of participants
* Modern artist creating an artwork during the simul
* Chess related arts and crafts activity for children
* Chess educational presentation for teachers, parents, school and pre-school children
* Cutting a huge chess cake as a present to the participants
* Press Conference
EU POLGAR CHESS FESTIVAL 2012
Date: November 17, 2012 10.00-19.00
Place: SYMA Event and Congress Centre, H-1146 Budapest, Dózsa György str. 1.