Susan Polgar Institute for Chess Excellence (SPICE)
"The goal of SPICE is to work with our friends and colleagues to enhance chess, education, technology, and research. I strongly believe that College Chess is a critical bridge between Scholastic and Adult Chess. If we can successfully promote College Chess, we will retain a lot more of our scholastic players and transition them to Adult Chess.
"Chess as a sport is not big enough yet and there is plenty of room to grow. Therefore, it is vital that we work together and assist each other for the best interest of our sport."
-Susan Polgar, Executive Director of SPICE
15 national, 2 state, and 2 regional titles, in addition to the national #1 ranking in College Chess in 4 years.
Now a new chapter at Webster University (www.WebsterChess.com) as the #1 College Chess program in the United States.
- To be the premier center for chess education, research, technology, and outreach in the nation
- To be a leader in promoting chess as a vehicle for enriching the education of children
- To be a leader in promoting women's chess
- To recruit outstanding undergraduate and graduate students to Webster University
- To bring national and international recognition to Webster University
- To support and promote competitive chess at the college level
- To support the nation's most elite chess program
Below is the list of Grandmasters enrolling at Webster University in the Fall of 2012 - Spring 2013:
The Webster University Chess Team is ranked #1 in the United States for the 2012-2013 season.
January 2013 ratings
|GM Wesley So (Freshman)||Philippines||2682|
|GM Georg Meier (Sophomore - Co-Captain)||Germany||2645|
|GM Fidel Corrales Jimenez (Freshman)||Cuba||2617|
|GM Ray Robson (Freshman)||USA||2615|
|GM Manuel Leon Hoyos (Freshman)||Mexico||2591|
|GM Anatoly Bykhovsky (Junior - Co-Captain)||Israel||2513|
|GM Denes Boros (Junior)||Hungary||2496|
|GM Andre Diamant (Sophomore)||Brazil||2469|
IM Vitaly Neimer (Israel), FM Jake Banawa (Philippines), WIM Inna Agrest (Sweden)...
Past titled players: GM Gergely Antal, GM Gabor Papp, GM Davorin Kuljasevic, GM Elshan Moradiabadi, IM Istvan Sipos, IM Faik Aleskerov, etc.
If you would like to be a part of the #1 College Chess program in the United States, please feel free to contact me at SusanPolgar@aol.com. Full and partial scholarships available for qualified student players.
Chess Team Accomplishments - 2012
National Championships (5)
- 2012 U.S. Open Championship: 1st place (GM Manuel Leon Hoyos)
- 2012 U.S. Open Rapid (g/15) Championship: 1st place (GM Andre Diamant and IM Vitaly Neimer)
- 2012 U.S. Open Blitz Championship: 1st place (GM Andre Diamant), 2nd place (GM Anatoly Bykhovsky)
- 2012 PanAm Intercollegiate Championship: Both A and B team tied for 1st
- 2012 PanAm Intercollegiate Championship: Top reserve player (GM Manuel Leon Hoyos)
State Championships (3)
- 2012 Missouri State Championship: 1st place (GM Denes Boros and GM Anatoly Bykhovsky)
- 2012 Missouri State Rapid Championship: 1st place (GM Fidel Corrales Jimenez)
- 2012 Missouri State Blitz Championship: 1st place (GM Fidel Corrales Jimenez)
- 2012 World Chess Olympiad (Istanbul, Turkey): Team Silver in Group A (GM Ray Robson - USA)
- 2012 World Chess Olympiad (Istanbul, Turkey): Team Bronze in Group B (GM Wesley So - Philippines)
- 2012 SPICE Cup Open: 1st place (GM Ray Robson), 2nd place (GM Fidel Corrales Jimenez), 3rd place (IM Vitaly Neimer)
- 2012 Thanksgiving Open in St. Louis: 1st place (GMs Georg Meier, Fidel Corrales Jimenez, Denes Boros)
- 2012 SLCC GM Invitational: 1st place (IM Vitaly Neimer)
ST. LOUIS, Sept. 14, 2011 – Webster University’s Study Abroad programs rank in the top 2 percent of the 1,600 colleges and universities surveyed in the just-released “America’s Best Colleges” 2012 edition of U.S. News & World Report. Webster is one of just 27 U.S. institutions to share this distinction, which recognizes study abroad programs that involve substantial academic work for credit and considerable interaction between the student and the culture.
In addition to Webster, other schools cited for their excellent study abroad programs include American University, Boston University, Carleton College, Columbia University, Dartmouth College, Duke University, Georgetown University, Middlebury College, New York University and Syracuse University, according to the U.S. News report.
“The U.S. News & World Report rankings are a confirmation of everything that makes Webster University a first-choice institution for students seeking global academic excellence,” said Webster University President Elizabeth (Beth) J. Stroble. “The report highlights our longtime and growing commitment to global study and global citizenship, which is recognized throughout the United States and around the world.”
Overall, Webster University continues as a Tier 1 institution, ranking 24th in the “Regional University-Midwest category.
With its home campus in St. Louis, Webster University is the only Tier 1, private, non-profit U.S.-based university providing a network of international residential campuses. Founded in 1915, Webster University’s campus network today includes metropolitan, military and corporate locations around the world, as well as traditional residential campuses in Asia, Europe and North America. The university is committed to delivering high-quality learning experiences that transform students for global citizenship and individual excellence.